Have you ever walked into a fancy bathroom in a high-class hotel or premium mall and stopped for a moment to bask in on how beautiful the design is?
A well-designed bathroom is a good way to show how immaculate the planning of the overall place is and how the designer has a keen and detailed eye for design, for not leaving out the bathroom in their plans for the entire building or space.
When highlighting some of the best bathrooms in malls, ION Orchard or TripleOne Somerset will usually be brought up as they boast ample space, large mirrors, classy marble wash basins and even a bidet (washlet). All these elements help to elevate the overall luxurious impression that comes with shopping or spending time in some of Singapore’s top malls.
World-renowned hotels are no different in ensuring that the elegance and class of their hotels seep into the bathrooms. Some examples include The Fullerton Bay Hotel or The Ritz Carlton with spacious and clean-smelling bathrooms that exude elegance and grace that act as a good representation of the hotel’s image and branding.
The wash basin in Singapore is often overlooked in the planning of any stylish or unique bathroom design but it is actually one of the key elements that makes the most difference. Other than choosing a unique or classy design, it is also as important to keep to a regular cleaning routine to ensure that the wash basin will always look clean and fresh.
While light stains can be easily removed with warm water and soap, some stubborn stains are more difficult or complicated to clean off as such, here are some useful cleaning and maintenance tips on how to maintain the condition of your wash basins for a long period.
Wash Basin Cleaning Tips
- Prepare a sponge or soft cloth next to your wash basin and clean the surface regularly to prevent the build-up of soap-scum or formation of rings. Cleaning your basin every week with a multipurpose detergent will help remove any accumulated dirt or spots.
- Clean your basin regularly with a non-abrasive liquid to maintain its spotless appearance. However, if the wash basin is fitted with a brass waste, avoid using such liquids as they can wear down the metal over time.
- Do not use bleach or acidic chemicals directly to clean ceramic basins as it can lead to permanent damage or even corrosion of the sink. However a trick to make your basin gleaming again is to soak paper towels with bleach and place them on the sink for 30 minutes. Dispose the towels and rinse the sink with running water. Alternatively, you can use mild liquid detergent, vinegar, or baking soda as a less intrusive solution to bleach.
- Remove stains with one-half cup of powdered borax and one-half lemon juice. This DIY mixture is effective for all sinks whether it is made of porcelain enamel, stainless steel or other materials.
- To remove the white spots off faucets, you can soak a paper towel in vinegar and wrap it around the affected area. Leave it for 10 minutes before buffing it with a dry paper towel to clean the area easily.
- Never use a metal or wire scrubber to clean any type of wash basins as they will leave permanent scratches on the surface.
Wash Basin Maintenance Tips
- Depending on the design of the wash basin, you should schedule a regular maintenance review to check for any leaks or damages in pipes and plumbing.
- Avoid using any harsh chemicals or acids to clean the taps or faucets as they can permanently damage the parts being cleaned.
- Mix baking soda and water together to form a toothpaste-like consistency. Apply this paste on the wash basin with a non-abrasive scrubbing pad before rinsing it thoroughly to keep it clean regularly
- Repair or replace any faulty basins to prevent additional damage caused by water leakage or any permanent stains from staying in the basin
Be sure to prevent any accumulation of water in any part of the basin as well, especially those designed with flat surfaces. This helps in preventing the growth of mould or bacteria that will make the basin unhygienic and unsafe to use.
By following these steps, you can be diligent in maintaining the condition of your wash basin for a long time to come.